PDA

View Full Version : Finding a puppy is so darn hard!

ChiDakota
09-24-2010, 01:10 PM
I never understood why so many people charge for you to adopt a mutt, they think mixing two breeds is a breed of some sort. Then to top it off you have to pay almost $500 to adopt from a shelter, are they insane? they don't want to adopt these animals out, they couldn't care less, cause they pocket the money, but yet they're always begging for people to donate items. I don't understand the insanity of paying more for a forever friend and going into debt for it before you are even guaranteed the pet and being told that your two bedroom small house isn't big enough for something the size of a rat?! Maybe if they'd realize some of us cannot afford to pay all these high prices and if some would stop trying to get rich on a "fairy tale" breed, alot of these animals would have homes! It's very hard to find a pet here in my town, even tho there is a shelter, but I surely am not paying $144 just to buy a pet then have to add on extra costs before I walk out the door! I hardly doubt anyone on here is in my state nonetheless town with puppies, lol, but I make a good statement!

aburgstede
09-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Keeping in mind that we all have our own opinions...here is mine.

I do agree, a $500 adoption fee is pretty high. But, if you are considering adoption, please put into consideration what shelters & rescue groups put into these animals: Most are 501C3 non-profit, they are volunteers. The animals they adopt out are full vetted and spayed neutered. Sit down and write out the costs of this, granted it's different in every state. I'm in WI and do rescue so I'm very familiar with our vetting prices (depending on the vet, it varies a few dollars); for example:

Exam: $50
Rabies: $20
DHLPP: $20
Bordatella: $20
Fecal test: $20
HW test: $20-40
HW prevention (per month) $3-6
Flea/tick prevention (per month, depending on size of dog): $17-20
Spay/neuter (depending on size of dog): $120-150 (small dog)
=$290

Then, if the dog needs anything additional it's taken care of. Many dogs need dentals done (at least $100...just for a cleaning). If there are worms (in the fecal), they need to be treated, that's another cost to factor in, $30 generally. And we also consider the fact that if someone can't afford the adoption fee, can they afford the "upkeep" of a dog (normal routine vet exams, what about emergencies that come up?).

As a volunteer for a 501C3 nation-wide rescue group I had to pay for the dog food myself and I fed the foster dogs the same stuff I fed my dogs, the good stuff, not the cheap stuff. I had to pay for the flea/tick myself too.

The dogs we adopted out were between 135-375 (seniors/medical needs to puppy). As you can see, the cost don't cover medical needs in many instances. Sometimes the medical costs FAR exceed the adoption fee. I had two seniors w/special needs and one vet visit was $900. They were adopted out for $270. Please don't say these places are out there making money!

We (at our rescue) go through applications, check references, check vet references, do phone interviews, and do homevisits to ensure these animals will not come back to rescue. NOT because we will not take them back, because we will-if they need to come back, they are ALWAYS welcome back; but because we want them to have a loving forever home and not have to be bounced around again. Most of these dogs have been through enough and don't need yet another home because we didn't check things out enough or ask enough questions. Yes, it's alot, but it's worth it.

You're referring to "fairy tale" breeds, they are "designer dogs", commonly found in pet shops, like Petland...which breed misery. They get their dogs from puppymills. Check out more at www.petshoppuppies.com. Shelters & rescues aren't to blame for "designer dogs", unfortunately, rescues & shelters are left dealing with the consequences of irresponsible breeders (because yes, I do believe there are responsible breeders).

jammom
09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
I know what you're saying-we went thru he** just trying to find a puppy yrs ago when we bought our house.We ending up getting Bandit cause he was a stray running the streets in my best friends town-saved us a ton of money.B4 that,we bought a purebred Beagle ($200) that we ended up giving away to friends on a farm cause he was so outta control (pulled wallpaper off walls,just to name one) Going thru the shelter in our town was ridiculous-found all kinds of reasons we couldn't adopt certain dogs & others it was crazy $-don't understand either.(Especially when some were days away from being euthanized)
Good Luck to you & keep us posted on finding a new member of your family
Deb

ChiDakota
09-24-2010, 03:01 PM
I certainly agree with everyones opinions and I do agree shelters do good jobs and deserve the rewards, just wish prices weren't so high, I'd be able to afford to adopt atleast two puppies, of course, knowing ahead they'd get along so they have a "buddy". I hate this economy right now, lol. As far as the mix breeds, I mean the ones who call them a breed and just breed them at home trying to make a quick buck off of an animal, I wouldn't even sell a full bred for much myself knowing it's going to a good home. Just makes things more frustrated, BUT, good news, found out just as I was typing this...we're getting a purebred chihuahua male that is now 8 weeks old, not paying a dime, because it's thru a friend, but all the more to spend on him! I have been so antsy the last few months looking and well, now we're getting a new family member.

jammom
09-24-2010, 03:50 PM
YAY-Congrats on the new addition-you'll have to post pics !!!

aburgstede
09-25-2010, 12:47 PM
I mean the ones who call them a breed and just breed them at home trying to make a quick buck off of an animal, I wouldn't even sell a full bred for much myself knowing it's going to a good home.

BUT, good news, found out just as I was typing this...we're getting a purebred chihuahua male that is now 8 weeks old, not paying a dime, because it's thru a friend, but all the more to spend on him! I have been so antsy the last few months looking and well, now we're getting a new family member.

Those breeders you're referring to are 'back yard breeders' (BYB) who breed to make a quick buck and don't care about the dog or where they are going. It's very sad.

So happy you found a dog!! Chihuahua's are very cute dogs!! Congrats!!!

ChiDakota
10-07-2010, 12:37 PM
We got jipped on the deal with the chihuahua, but we went to the shelter, found a dog and it only cost us $50 with $25 refunded when we get him fixed. I don't think I could ever adopt another one from a shelter tho, I cried all the way thru it.
We were looking for a very young puppy so it wasn't set in it's ways, but, this dog is supposed to be a year old, we're not thinking he's that old, he's fully trained, listens well, and isn't an issue. He's a Jack Russell, was found as a stray, had a collar on tight, so we're guessing it was removed and he was dropped off. He isn't overly hyper, if anything, he prefers to be held all the time, we had issues with his food, he will not eat Pedigree, so we started him on Purina and he loves it, thank goodness too, cause we got 2 free bag coupons from Purina. I signed up with Pedigree before his first week was over and sent in his adoption papers and they're sending a coupon for a free 20lb bag, I'm going to get the bag and take that to the shelter since he won't eat that stuff. He walks very well on a leash, he begs but he's learning, he obviously was very spoiled with human food and we don't allow that here. He has barked maybe twice in the couple weeks we've had him, which is a blessing. All around, he loves riding and just having someone around, he was obviously left alone alot and left somewhere to fend for himself, he shows it every day. He's the perfect fit to travel with, we're glad to have him in our lives.

Ryan's Mom
10-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm glad you found a good dog. I think that shelter dogs are often better than pet store dogs. They seem to know you rescued them and are so grateful! I'm 62 and have never purchased a pet. They've all been rescues, strays or other people's discards and I've never had a 'bad' dog or cat. All of our dogs have been sweethearts, which is good thing since our dogs have weighed from 60-110 pounds! I'm sure you'll find your Jack Russell to be a joy. And a Jack Russell who isn't hyper is a rarity!

I do have a little tortoise shell cat who was a discard (her owner didn't want her) and she hadn't been socialized. Whenever you tried to pet or pick her up, she'd scratch and bite. We just kept petting her until she decided she liked it! Now she'll head bump you to let you know she needs a pet! It can be a bit of a pain when I'm on the computer because she jumps up and walks on my keyboard to get to my chin leaving little mystic kitty messages on whatever I'm trying to type! LOL!