PDA

View Full Version : Help--Need some advice and prayers!

rebate queen
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
One of my cats most likely has cancer. I have to make the decision on whether to treat it or let her go. Treatment would start with a biopsy and then probably a leg amputation. This would be pretty painful as well as expensive, with no guarantees that it will work. She is about 8 years old and still very active. I just don't know what to do, and have been struggling with this since Monday.

jammom
02-02-2012, 11:05 AM
So sorry to hear about your cat-my hubby & I were just talking about how our Bandit (dog) is getting up there(11 yrs) but doesn't seem to be slowing down.I had said I just want him to go painlessly & peacefully,if possible.& I would call in sick to work cause I'll be bawling all day.
Geesh-dunno-I would WANT to do what I could,but then the expense...does your cat seem to be in pain? I mean,what led you to see the vet ?

rebate queen
02-02-2012, 03:12 PM
We noticed the knot on her hip a few months ago but I was hoping it would just go away. She didn't seem to be in pain when you touched it. I took both cats in for their yearly checkup/shots and told the vet about it then. She does limp a little sometimes now and is slightly less active. I feel really bad that I didn't take her in sooner. I just don't know what to do :(

Ryan's Mom
02-02-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. I had to put one of my cats to sleep when he got lymph node cancer. It's so difficult to make a decision with a "fur baby" but you really have to do whatever is best for both of you. If your cat is in good health other than the tumor, I would think she should do very well on three legs. I've seen a few "tripods" and they seem to not even know they are missing a leg! I'd want to be sure that the cancer had not spread. If it has, then I think that the kindest thing you could do is to put her to sleep. You also have to look at the cost of the surgery. If it's going to be quite expensive, then you may have to put her to sleep. It's much, much more caring than letting her suffer. In the end, you have to look at everything involved and then make the best decision for both you and your cat.

we3kings
02-03-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. It is something I worry about with my dog as well and I just don't know what I'd do without her, but I know I probably couldn't be able to pay for cancer treatment either. It is a very difficult and heart wrenching decision for you I can only imagine. Prayer that you make the right choices for you.

joelmandre
02-06-2012, 01:17 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your cat. I had a dog that ended up with a similar condition and they were a non malignant fatty tumor. While it is a form of cancer, the vet said they weren't painful to her and that surgery wasn't essential. She lived another 5 years without issues from the growth. The vet did say if they ended up growing, they could cause more trouble, but that never happened.

I'll pray for you and will keep sending out positive vibes that your cat will be okay. Remember that sometimes those impossible mountains we face are nothing more than bumps in the road.

rebate queen
02-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks so much for all the thoughtful words, advice, and prayers. I haven't posted because it was just too hard to talk about for awhile, plus I've been super busy. I think that we have come to a decision as a family and I'll post more soon.

Hugs to you all! Your kind words mean soooo much to me!