PDA

View Full Version : Graco Car Seat Recall

jammom
02-11-2014, 02:10 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/02/11/graco-recall/5396939/

Graco is recalling nearly 3.8 million car safety seats because children can be trapped, but is refusing to recall seven other infant seat models, a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recall notice shows.

The buckles may not unlatch, making it difficult to remove the child from the seat. That increases the risk of injury in a crash, fire, or other emergency when a speedy exit from the vehicle is required.

"NHTSA's investigation will remain open pending its evaluation of the Graco recall and until the Agency's consideration of the review of the 7 remaining seat models is completed," the agency said in a statement.

That means the agency and company will continue to negotiate whether a recall is warranted for the Snugride infant seats, a disagreement that could wind up in court if it proves contentious.

In an emailed statement, Graco said it "identified that food and dried liquids can make some harness buckles progressively more difficult to open over time or become stuck in the latched position." It emphasized that the infant seats were not included in the recall, saying they are "uniquely designed to detach from their base for quick release if needed." Those who have difficulty with an infant seat buckle can also get a replacement buckle, Graco said.

Graco said is is offering an improved replacement harness buckle to affected consumers at no cost.

"Graco would like to stress this does not in any way affect the performance of the car seat or the effectiveness of the buckle to restrain the child," the company said in the statement.

The child seat recall covers 11 models sold from 2009 through 2013. .

NHTSA says it has at least 80 complaints about the seats. Parents said they had to use excessive force to unlatch the harness buckle. In some cases, the straps even had to be cut to free children.

Graco said in a letter to NHTSA that it had been monitoring the performance of the buckles since 2009 and had given owners advice on how to use and clean them and offered replacement buckles.

The recalled models include Cozy Cline, Comfort Sport, Classic Ride 50, My Ride 65, My Ride with Safety Surround, My Ride 70, Size 4 Me 70, Smartseat, Nautilus, Nautilus Elite and Argos 70.

Consumers can contact Graco at 1-800-345-4109 (toll-free) or 1-330-869-7225.