Close

Thread: Middle Child

Learner

Status
    Default Middle Child

I come from a family of thirteen and I am in the middle so occasionally I have the middle child blues.

Guru

Status

I'm from a family of ten and am the oldest. I often think that there are definite advantages to being a middle. My youngest sibling is only 12 years younger than I am. We were "stair-steps". I could change a diaper, heat a bottle and "hip" a baby by the time I was eight. By the time I was a teenager, I was the built in babysitter. Not really complaining, that's just the way it is when you're the oldest.
    Life, when I asked if this day could get any worse, it was a rhetorical question, NOT a challenge!

Mega-Super Moderator

Status

Welcome greenjean60 ! Glad ya found us !
    I,too am the oldest (of 3) & really didn't have to babysit too much.I was always playing softball & my bro & sis usually tagged along to the parks I played at (all within walking distance) Didn't seem like the 3 of us got along all the time-more like 2 on 1-LOL
    "We make a living by what we get,but we make a life by what we give"-W Churchill

Guru

Status

I had eight brothers and only one sister. I grew up a major tomboy. Played tackle football and hardball with the boys. I never played softball, after playing baseball for years, softballs always seemed mushy to me! LOL! I could even work on cars back in the day. I was a teenager in the 60's and everyone worked on their own cars back then and I got to help. You can't do that now! Just to change a headlight in my HHR you have to go up through the wheel well!
    Life, when I asked if this day could get any worse, it was a rhetorical question, NOT a challenge!

Mega-Super Moderator

Status

Heck-if you wanted to hang out w/ the guys,ya had to know how to fix cars-LOL.Did my share of tree climbing too-our old treehouse in Ill is STILL there
    "We make a living by what we get,but we make a life by what we give"-W Churchill

Apprentice

Status

I only have one other sibling besides myself and it is my Brother who is 6 years older than me. Let's just say that I could fight with the best of them in elementary school. Having an older Brother teaches you how to defend yourself. LOL

Mega-Super Moderator

Status

Quote Originally Posted by we3kings View Post
    I only have one other sibling besides myself and it is my Brother who is 6 years older than me. Let's just say that I could fight with the best of them in elementary school. Having an older Brother teaches you how to defend yourself. LOL
    You made me laugh-I remember the 1st time my bro hit me back & it hurt-about the time he went from "little brother" to 'younger brother".My sis...let's just say we tease my Mom-"Are you sure you didn't have an affair?"

Teacher

Status

I am the oldest of 5, I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters, and Dolores I understand perfectly how you felt! My 2 sister's were both born when I was in high school and my father worked 2 jobs and my mother volunteered at church so I was a built in babysitter too. It had been such good training that when my first child was born and the nurse brought him into the room and asked me if I would like her to show me how to change his diaper and feed him I actually burst out laughing like she had just asked me the most absurd question! Then I felt bad and had to apologize because I'm sure hundreds of girls/women come thru there that don't have any idea how to do those things....
    Because the night is dark ... and full of terrors.