Genealogy can be a rewarding hobby. There are always interesting things to discover about one's family tree. You just have to be willing to search.
Of course, that's often easier said than done. Beyond a certain point, information can be hard to find. Where do you even start looking?
That is why Family Search created its online research classes. These classes introduce the best places to look for finding ancestry information. The classes are even country specific. That is helpful for people whose ancestors immigrated.
The U.S. research classes are at the bottom of the page. You will need to install the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to view them. This is a quick, free and safe download. And it is well worth it if you are interested in genealogy
I have accessed this database while researching my family tree. It is run by the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) and have found it most helpful. I consider it one of the best genealogy site going. I haven't used the tutorial as I didn't know it existed when I began.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/libr...sp?ActiveTab=2